Sunday, June 7, 2009

Ahhh Grasshopper…

How appropriate that while I have embarked on my 3 week “Wok About 2009” Asian food quest, in preparation for my next appearance on “The Jordan Rich Show” on June 19, 2009 at midnight (WBZ 1030AM), we pause to take a moment of silence and honor the memory of David Carradine, “Caine” of “Kung Fu” (don’t laugh, it was nominated for 7 Emmys its first season, including “Best Actor”) and “Frankenstein” in the classic “Death Race 2000.”

Ah, Grasshopper has snatched the final pebble from his master’s hand, but apparently from all reports, it was not a pebble he was snatching. Sounds like he was a big Michael Hutchence fan…look up the cause of death on the Internet…. Clearly, a guy that made a soup from the placenta of his first child wasn’t dealing with a full deck (I hear it tastes like chicken). It’s too bad, because as most of you know, I try to emulate Caine, with the quiet, Zen-like reserved inner-strength (keeping my opinions to myself…minding my own business). My rice paper has torn…. Like Billy Jack, Caine was among the heroes of a youth mis-spent in front of a TV tuned to Channels 56 or 38. Rest is peace, Grasshopper.

For those of you following my wok-about...once again I am pushing myself to the limits for all of you. At times, I feel like Kobayashi cramming egg rolls after chicken fingers after dumplings after beef tendons, all in the name of science…so far, I’ve eaten at Royal East (Cambridge-big surprise), Lavender and Lotus Blossom (Sudbury), Lotus Flower, Imperial China and Sichuan Gourmet (Framingham), The Wok (Wellesley), Taam China (Brookline). Next week, among others, I’ll be eating at Chung Shin Yuan in Watertown. Details are coming soon…tune in to the radio show for the full rundown, and to hear about my cholesterol levels…

You've been great. Enjoy Carl Douglas...

No comments: