Monday, August 11, 2008

Up, Up and Away...





Little do you people know that I am a huge Fifth Dimension fan. It goes further back than “Solid Gold” with Marilyn McCoo; it actually goes back to growing up in Hyannisport and hearing their greatest hits play on my parents radio.

Forever tattooed on my brain (everybody sing along…):

Would you like to ride in my beautiful balloon
Would you like to ride in my beautiful balloon
We could float among the stars together, you and I
For we can fly we can fly
Up, up and away
My beautiful, my beautiful balloon
The world's a nicer place in my beautiful balloon
It wears a nicer face in my beautiful balloon
We can sing a song and sail along the silver sky
For we can fly we can fly…

So, it was with that song in mind as I awoke on Sunday morning at 4:00 a.m. and drove to Hudson for a sunrise ascension and flight on the RE/MAX hot air balloon.

I admit, at first, I was a little nervous about going, and even turned down the invitation, but I came to my senses, with some urging from my wife.

The pilot, Chris Mooney, was a terrific pilot and great company, as were my flying companions. The beauty and grandeur of the blue sky, dotted with balloons, and the smooth, silent sailing cannot be adequately described on this page.
The ground crew was extraordinarily friendly, and I very much enjoyed our celebratory champagne, cheese and crackers…at 8:00 a.m.

The picture above was a view from our balloon.

While I am a little young to have a “bucket list”, I am glad I had the opportunity, and encourage you all to “sing a song and sail along the silver sky…” if you have the chance.

You’ve been great. Enjoy Jules Verne’s “Around the World in 80 Days.”

1 comment:

Meltzer said...

I would disagree about the bucket list . . . unless you know your fate, it is never too early, and perhaps always too late for a bucket list.